Freelance, Part time. Start Date: Immediately
Feb 10, 2017
MakerBay is the first large-scale independent makerspace tailored for the creative community in Hong Kong. We believe that innovative technology should contribute to the benefit of our society and our environment. We provide a large co-working space, diverse range of tools, value-added services and a vibrant community. We are home to some of the most promising hardware startups in the region. We also provide comprehensive Maker Education to both children and adults. Find out more about us at www.makerbay.org.
Overview of the Role
We are looking for a product or industrial designer keen to go from idea to product. That includes discussing the design briefs, measure, design research, drafting, technical drawing, create scaled models, fabricate and install orders on site. This job will be highly creative, hands-on and collaborative. You will have the satisfaction of turning your ideas / designs into reality on a regular basis and grow your portfolio. This will be a great opportunity for a designer / craftsman to become excellent with sourcing materials and parts, fabrication, learn metal, composite and digital fabrication tools such as CNC milling, Laser cutting, 3D printing and many cutting edge fabrication techniques. Occasionally, you will be involved in teaching design and fabrication classes.
Please refer to our website for the full list of machines at our workshop: https://www.makerbay.org/pages/tools
- Hand drawing, technical drawing
- 3D Design (Rhino / Sketchup / Fusion360 / Solidworks)
- Expertise in at least one of the following: wood, metal, composite fabrication, electronics, CAD, CAM, laser cutting, CNC milling, 3D printing
- Love of quality work, attention to detail, appreciation of processes and tools
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in design, architecture, engineering, science or invention.
- Design Thinking, good facilitation and communication skills
- Willingness to learn and experiment
- Team player, persistent, conscientious, resourceful and detail-oriented
- Fluency in spoken and written Cantonese and English. Mandarin is an advantage.
- Experience working with children and youth is an advantage
Working Hours and Location
- Working hours: 10:00 - 19:00, Mon-Fri (occasional evening and weekend shifts required)
- Locations: MakerBay Yau Tong, MakerBay PMQ and other sites as needed.
Please send your CV and one page cover letter (A4 size) to email@example.com explaining your interest in the position and expected salary.