Full-time / Part-time
Start Date: Immediately
MakerBay is the first large-scale independent makerspace tailored for the creative community in Hong Kong. We believe that innovative technology should contribute to the benefit of our society and our environment. We provide a large co-working space, diverse range of tools, value-added services and a vibrant community. We are home to some of the most promising hardware startups in the region. We also provide comprehensive Maker Education to both children and adults. Find out more about us at www.makerbay.org.
Overview of the Role
We are looking for someone who loves to work with his/her hands, machines, tinker and invent! As the Workshop and Teaching Assistant, your key responsibilities include running and maintaining the machines and keeping the workshop safe and clean for our users. You will conduct new member induction classes on how to safely operate the machines and tools. The role also involves the development and execution of maker workshops and classes to the MakerBay community and our partner schools. This is an extremely dynamic and rewarding position as you will have ample opportunity to experiment on new projects, collaborate with the community on real world issues and participate in training opportunities.
Please refer to our website for the full list of machines at our workshop: https://www.makerbay.org/pages/tools
- Maintain and use digital machines such as 3D printers, laser cutters, and CNC milling machines
- Maintain woodworking and metalworking machines and tools
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment in the workshop
- Offer induction classes to new members about the safe operation of the machines
- Carry out fabrication jobs for clients
- Develop and deliver maker workshops at MakerBay and partner schools
- Assist in other tasks, special projects and events as needed
- A versatile all-rounder with specialisations in one of the following areas: mechanical or electrical engineering, or other relevant disciplines
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in making or invention
- Sound understanding of materials, concept, design process, CAD, manufacture, finish, assembly and installation of work
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills
- Willingness to learn and experiment
- Team player, persistent, conscientious, resourceful and detail-oriented
- Fluency in spoken and written Cantonese and English. Mandarin is an advantage.
- Experience working with children and youth is an advantage
Working Hours and Location
- Working hours: 10:00 - 19:00, Mon-Fri (occasional evening and weekend shifts required)
- Locations: MakerBay Yau Tong, MakerBay PMQ and other sites as needed.
Please send your CV and one page cover letter (A4 size) to email@example.com explaining your interest in the position and expected salary.
- Makerbay.org: http://www.makerbay.org/blogs/news/job-posting-technical-assistant-and-workshop-instructor
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/makerbay/jobs/201076196964559/
- JobsDB: http://hk.jobsdb.com/hk/en/job/technical-assistant-and-workshop-instructor-100003004759464
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/cap/view/196929193?pathWildcard=196929193&trk=job_capjs