Full-time. Start Date: Immediately - open ended
Feb 12, 2017
MakerBay is the first large-scale independent makerspace tailored for the creative community in Hong Kong. We believe that innovative technology should contribute to the benefit of our society and our environment. We provide a large co-working space, diverse range of tools, value-added services and a vibrant community. We are home to some of the most promising hardware startups in the region. We also provide comprehensive Maker Education to both children and adults. Find out more about us at www.makerbay.org.
Overview of the Role
We are looking for MakerBay Technical Director, someone with extensive experience in working with traditional and digital fabrication, and a passion for sharing know-how. You will manage Hong Kong largest makerspace workshop: wood and metal works, multiple CNCs, laser cutters, 3D printers, electronics prototyping, textile, chemistry, biology, optics... Your main tasks will be to:
- Develop and teach a maker education curriculum with the Director and instructors.
- Manage a team of instructors to deliver classes and fabricators to deliver orders
- Improve and maintain the space and tools in the workshop to be tidy, productive while enforcing health and safety best practices
You will need to have broad range of hard (technology, innovation) as well as soft skills (teaching, management). We are looking for people who love interdisciplinarity and are comfortable with making physical manifestations of art, design, engineering or science experiments. This is an extremely dynamic and rewarding position as you will have ample opportunity to experiment on new projects, collaborate with the community on real world issues and participate in upskilling trainings.
Please refer to our website for the full list of machines at our workshop: https://www.makerbay.org/pages/tools
- Excellent teaching, facilitation and communication skills with youth and adults
- Traditional fabrication experience (wood, metal).
- Digital fabrication experience (CAD, CAM, laser cutting, CNC milling, 3D printing)
- Experience in project and team management
- Experience in workshop health & safety training
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in fabrication or invention. Artistic, design, engineering or scientific background is a plus
- Willingness to learn and experiment, persistent, conscientious, resourceful and detail-oriented
- Fluency in English and Chinese.
- Understanding of the Hong Kong education system
Working Hours and Location
- Working hours: 10:00 - 19:00, Mon-Fri (occasional evening and weekend shifts required)
- Locations: MakerBay Yau Tong, MakerBay PMQ and other sites as needed.
Please send your CV and one page cover letter (A4 size) to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your interest in the position and expected salary.